Convict John Aged 9 Diary Entry

I was cleaning some rich person’s chimney and getting scolded at too. And if I stood up to retain my self respect I would’ve been beaten up an sent to execution. Sadly, I went down the mansion’s chimney and as you know if you’re poor and you see a shiny pistol fully loaded with bullets you would want it so badly.Suddenly, heard another abusive word coming at me which put my attention right back onto the chimney and then my clothes. I looked up and looked around if anyone was there but there wasn’t. Here was my chance. It was now or never.

I sneaked up to get pistol when my eyes caught glimpse of an apron, brand new that would be worth a lot of shillings I thought. So first I got the pistol and then a the apron. In the midst, I didn’t realise that the man of the household’s child was sitting on the staircase and had saw me stealing it. “Daddy that labourer stole yourself pistol and apron!” she complained. Her dad came down and called the runners immediately.

As quick as lightning, I ran out the door but bumped into people who I knew were the runners. They dragged me by the legs as my blood ran down by dirty and muddy knees. They dragged me to the court where the judge accused me or stealing a pistol and an apron. “Oh come on I am only a nine year old after all who doesn’t even know the meaning of stealing!” I protested. But the judge didn’t listen. All he said was, “ Guilty or not guilty what do you plead.” “Nothing sir,” I said frightened. “You shall be sent to Australia to be a labourer,” he boomed “Nooooo!” I protested.

John